Thursday 26 January 2012

Updated make-up storage post... (MUJI drawers!)

Hey you guys!

I hope you've all had a lovely day today :-)

Now, you may recall a blog I wrote about 2 years ago on my make-up storage. Well, as you can probably imagine, my make-up collection has extended considerably since then & so an updated make-up storage solution was imminently required!

I took a trip to MUJI on Oxford Street (also available online) and purchased some more storage; I bought 2 x 2 Drawers Wide and 1 x 1 Flip-Top Lid Wide, and so now my make-up collection looks like this...

:-)

I've stacked four of the drawers on top of each other, and stacked the flip top drawer on top! I'm VERY happy with my updated/extended make-up storage! If you'd like to read a step-by-step guide about how I achieved this, read on...

So here's how my make-up looked before:

I've always used the MUJI drawers but, as you can see, my make-up was overgrowing the limited storage. The drawers were organised by product, but I found that as I was buying more products, they were having to go on the top or on the side i.e unorganised.

So here's what I did...

Step one

I took out ALL my make-up, laid it all onto my bed and separated it into product groups, eg bronzers, blushers, primers, concealers etc. At this point I also cleaned all my make-up (using baby wipes) and gave my old plastic MUJI drawers a good ol' soak in warm, soapy water :-)

Step two

I then allocated drawers for separate product groups. The products that had their own drawers (eg blushers, bronzers) I did first, and the product groups that were quite small (eg concealers, powder foundations) I combined into 1 drawer.

In the end, here are the ten drawers that I formed:

LEFT SIDE (top to bottom):
1) Eyeshadow palettes & powder eyeshadows
2) Mascaras, eyeliners & cream eyeshadows
3) Highlighters
4) Bronzers &
5) Blushers

RIGHT SIDE (top to bottom):
1) Cream foundations
2) Powder foundations & concealers
3) Nude lipsticks & other shades
4) Pink lipsticks
5) Red lipsticks

Step three

I then sorted out all the excess make-up into pots, that I popped on top of the drawers. These are: lipglosses, lip balms & primers. I cleaned my brushes and put them back in the same glass they were in that I blogged about here.


Step four

I then took out some of the pieces I use daily and popped them into a little wicker basket, so that they're easily accessible when I'm in a rush! I'm sure the contents of this basket will change, but for the time being they are...
  • Bourjois 10 hour sleep effect foundation (blogged about here)
  • Bourjois Delice de Poudre bronzer (Shade 51) (blogged about here)
  • Avon Color Trend double-ended kajal stick (Brown & Black)
  • No7 Exceptional Definition mascara (Brown/Black) (blogged about here)
  • Maybelline Pure Cover Mineral Concealer (02 Sand)
  • Carmex Original lip balm :-)
Et voila!

Here's how my make-up looked after:

Everything is neatly organised into categories, my favourites are out on display and, most importantly, there's room to expand! ;-)

How do you store your make-up? Do you find it's ever-changing?!

Let me know!

Love,

Sophia

xo

4 comments:

  1. Love this :) Been trying to tidy up my own makeup storage, so thank you for the links!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Lauren You're welcome hun :-) let me know how you get on! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm planning to get some more muji drawers tomorrow. I love how everything has its place

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I know what you mean! They are fab! If you buy them in packs of 2 it's cheaper :-)

    xo

    ReplyDelete