Saturday 7 August 2010

Top 10 Hair & Beauty Bargains Under £1

I don't know about you, but I love a bargain! I've been pretty skint of late but taking care of my appearance is something that's important to me, so I've reached a happy medium by finding cheap hair and beauty bits! I've compiled a list of my 10 fave beauty bargains under £1 that I've found during my months of being a student. Enjoy!

Nice 'n easy ColourSeal Gloss, £1, Superdrug



This product is designed for newly dyed hair, but I use the one designed for brunettes whenever I need a conditioning treatment. It says it's meant for six washes, but I find you only need the tiniest amount (literally a blob) and it reaches all of your hair, so it probably lasts more than six washes really. Nice 'n easy also make them for blondes and red-heads. These do come free with all Nice 'n easy hair dyes, but the gloss is a steal at £1 and is definitely worth buying on its own.

Almay oil-free eye make up remover, 99p, 99p stores



I have to say, I've slacked a bit on this product - I'm very lazy and generally use face wipes to remove my eye-make up (see below). But, this product caught my eye as its suitable for sensitive contact lens wearers, which I am, and it definitely didn't sting when I applied it. It's worth a try - especially as its such a big brand like Almay.

Rimmel sunshimmer self-tan gel, £1, Poundland



I thought this Rimmel fake tan was a bargain when I saw it in Poundland! My friend & I snapped it up. I have to admit that my fake tan de preference is, and always will be, Garnier Summer Body Moisturiser as it gives me a really lovely natural looking golden glow, BUT this product is actually rather good. I apply it with a fake tan mitt, and whilst I didn't notice the difference much on my legs (my calves never seem to tan for some reason), I DEFINITELY noticed a difference on my upper body. I used it on my face as well, no problemo. I would recommend if you're looking to try a fake tan gel (like L'oreal sublime bronze or Garnier) but don't want to fork out £5+ to find you don't like the consistency of fake tan gel. I would use it again if I wanted fake tan and I only had £1, but if I had the money I'd get the Garnier tanning moisturiser instead.

Alberto Balsam intensive conditioning treatment, £1, Poundland/ASDA/Savers



OK now this is a product that's certainly worth more than its £1 price tag! I picked up this bargain in ASDA, as, long story short, I had to spend £1 on my card and this was the only product I could find that wasn't food and was only £1. I'm so glad I did! It's a luscious treat for her, smells delicious, and could rival some of the more expensive high street haircare brands like L'oreal and Aussie. I liked this product because I do tend to use a shampoo, conditioner AND conditioning masque (I like my hair extra glossy) but if you're not a fan of waiting around with a hair masque in, I'd skip this product unless you used it to replace your conditioner. It's definitely worth trying if your hair needs a bit of pampering :) Oh, and it smells delicious! Shame it's not in a squeezy bottle though.

Revlon Colorstay eyeshadow, 99p, 99p stores



This Revlon eyeshadow in 005 Hazelnut is a lovely taupe shade, something I've been looking for for a while, and looks very natural. It's a bargain as its Revlon as well! I haven't noticed it lasting all day, but I suppose that's because the shade is rather light, but I'm pleased I got it because it works great as a colour on the lids for the daytime.

Almay face brightener, 99p, 99p stores



Another great Almay steal - this time in the form of a highlighter/illuminator for cheekbones, forehead, nose, anywhere you want really! If you're looking to try a highlighter but you're not sure if it's for you, I'd recommend this product. If you prefer more high end make-up/have used a highlighter before, I probably wouldn't, as it's slightly runny and isn't a patch on my fave Clinique illuminator. Saying that, it is a lovely golden bronze shade (the label states 001 Tan Afterglow and I'd definitely agree with that) and is more than worth its £1 price tag.

Creightons beautiful brunette shampoo & conditioner, £1 each, Poundland



Now these beauts were recommended to me by fellow beauty blogger Lauren Thomas who always has luscious, long brunette locks! I hastened to try them as I couldn't believe they'd be any good for only £1, but I'm glad I took the risk! They're a bloody bargain, leave your hair feeling soft and luxurious, and the conditioner smells like holidays (that coconut-y sun cream smell). I've tried many a shampoo and conditioner in my time, and whilst this isn't the Holy Grail of haircare, it's pretty damn good for £1. I always see them in Poundland so give them a try if you have a spare 2 quid. Blondes, if you're feeling a bit left out, Creightons make them for you guys as well :). You'll find them next to the brunette version...

Colour Effects wash in, wash out hair dye, £1, Superdrug



This is a bloody amazing product, it's basically a temporary hair dye that comes out in a really dense liquid but dyes the whole of your hair and lasts for one shower! I use the Warm Chocolate Brown shade and I find it darkens my mousey brown locks slightly - something I favour for a night out or special occasion. I would definitely recommend this product for light brunettes, or dark brunettes who want their tones enhanced. I haven't tried any of the other colours in this range, I fancy trying the red one so I'll let you know how that goes! :)

Pure 3-in-1 make-up removal wipes, £1 for 2 packs, Poundland



These face wipes are an absolute bargain - I swear by them! I've basically used them all year and they're fab. They're soft, smell nice, remove eye make-up effectively and they're only 50p each! They're not as luxurious as the No7 ones I use when I have the money, but they do the job and they work for me. Go go go!

L'oreal Elvive nutri-gloss styling cream, 99p, 99p stores



Finally, I'm a massive fan of L'oreal's nutri-gloss products. In fact, I scoured the whole of eBay for it's leave in conditioning treatment (something I found it Savers eventually - result!). These products do exactly what they say on the tin, leaving your hair soft and glossy, and this product is no expection. I don't use it every day as I use millions of different hair products, but when I do use this product I notice a subtle shine.

That's all for now, I hope you found that you CAN look good on a budget!

What are your fave bargains?

Lots of love,

Sophia

x

3 comments:

  1. hello i love your reviews i have also tried some of these products
    pls check out my blog and subscribe
    thanks
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!! I really like this post... I'm Spanish, and now I live in London. I'm in love with the 99s Stores... so great!!!! I have bought a lot of things (also the shampoo Brunette of Creightons that you have). Today I buy a cream for feet, Scholl, for only 99p!!! It's very very good... and last week it was Schwarzkopf shampoo and conditioner Peach & Yoghurt... mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOWOWOWOW, I have just come across your blog and must say I absolutely love it - massive thumbs up! :Dx

    ReplyDelete