Thursday 5 April 2012

Massive ELF haul part 1 - Make-up and FOTD!

Hey guys!

Now this post is long overdue, but recently I made a MASSIVE ELF (Eyes Lips Face) haul as they were offering 50% off their website! I bought all the stuff below for less than £20 (including delivery) - amazing!
Photobucket

I bought some nail polishes, which I will feature in a separate post, as well as make-up items in their standard line (all items £1.50 each) and their studio line (all items £3.50 each). Of course, as I had a 50% off code, all the standard line items were just 75p each, while the studio line items were only £1.75! BARGAIN! Check out their website here.

STANDARD line (£1.50 each)
Other than the nail polishes, I bought two brushes and a liquid lipstick from their standard line.

Luscious Liquid Lipstick (Raspberry) - £1.50
The first product I chose from the brand's standard line was one of their Luscious Liquid lipsticks. I was really looking for a glossy, raspberry shade lipgloss and this seemed to fit the bill perfectly.

Swatches:
Left: Without flash /Right: With flash

It's certainly not as 'raspberry' coloured as I was expecting, it's more of a glossy fuschia pink.

Lip swatches:
Left: Without flash / Right: With flash

The colour payoff is truly outstanding for just £1.50, it's not exactly what I was expecting shade wise but I still really like it! It's definitely a dupe for Stila's Lip Glaze and I would 100% try out other shades! :-)

Eye Shadow Brush - £1.50
I picked up this bargain eye brush, mainly for applying base colour to the eyelids.
It's a very short, fat eyeshadow brush and the bristles feel very tightly compacted.
Left: ELF Eyeshadow Brush / Right: Cosmopolitan Smokey Eyes Base Brush

As you can see, it looks very similar to the Cosmopolitan brush that I blogged about here. I have to admit that the Cosmopolitan brush is actually 10x better than the ELF one! The ELF Eyeshadow Brush had bristles coming out of it when I opened it and I struggled to pick up any product, so I think I'll pop it in my handbag instead of using it in my daily make-up routine.

Blushing, Bronzing and Blending Brush - £1.50
I bought this brush to apply mainly blusher, although it could also be used for contouring.
From L-R: ELF Blushing, Bronzing and Blending Brush, Avon Angled Brush, Cosmopolitan Blush Brush

It's slightly smaller than the Cosmopolitan brush and around the same size as the Avon brush, although the hairs in the ELF blush are much looser than in the other two brushes. It is perfect for adding just a pop of colour to the cheeks - I use it to apply Benefit Coralista which could look a little heavy otherwise!

STUDIO line (£3.50 each)
The studio line products are £2 more expensive than the standard/regular line, and as such I had slightly higher expectations for them! I picked up a make-up brush, a pigment eyeshadow and makeup lock and seal (which I used together), alongside a blusher/bronzer compact and a compact mirror.

Complexion Brush - £3.50
I bought this brush mainly to apply bronzer, as the bronzer brush I have at the moment is simply APPALING!
From L-R: ELF Studio Complexion Brush, Avon Powder Brush

I've actually found that the head on this brush is too big to apply bronzer really, and it's more suited to applying powder (I use MAC MSF Natural!) I definitely notice a difference in quality compared to the brushes in the standard line. You could tell that the product has been made with more care - the bristles are softer and more compact, and the effect on the skin looks much more natural!

Makeup Lock and Seal - £3.50
I bought this product on a whim (I hadn't read any reviews) but figured it would go perfectly with the Studio Pigment (see below!)
It's essentially a clear runny liquid that you can use to mix with powder products like eyeshadow so that they're easier to apply and last longer. It comes with a little pot that you can pour a couple of the drops of Makeup Lock and Seal into, before using the brush provided to mix the product around the pot. It would be perfect for use with Barry M Dazzle Dusts for example!

Pigment Eyeshadow (Golden Goddess) - £3.50
I bought this product as I required a golden eyeshadow that really stood out!
It's similar to Barry M Dazzle Dusts - it's a finely milled glistening golden powder, except this product comes with a handy brush too!
From L-R: [Without flash] Golden Goddess Pigment, Golden Goddess Pigment with Makeup Lock and Seal. [With flash] Golden Goddess Pigment, Golden Goddess Pigment with Makeup Lock and Seal.

I found the product on its own quite difficult to work with, but the Makeup Lock and Seal made SUCH a difference! I simply added a tiny bit of Makeup Lock and Seal to a brush before dipping it into the pigment, before swatching it above. As you can see, it's SO much more pigmented - it glistens in the light and lasted for hours! I definitely want to try more of these pigments!

EOTD:
I think the pigment looks really striking with jet black liner and thick black lashes, and it's certainly a look I will be rocking in the future!

Blush and Bronzer Compact - £3.50
This is one of ELF's most raved about products (especially in the blogosphere), and for just £1.75 I couldn't resist giving it a whirl!
From L-R: [Without flash] ELF Blush, Elf Bronzer. [With flash] ELF Blush, ELF Bronzer.

It contains a blush and a bronze in one handy compact. The blush is a finely milled, peachy-pink shade, whilst the bronzer is a shimmery tan shade.
ELF Studio Blush and Bronzer on cheeks

I love both shades (the bronzer leaves my skin with a healthy glow, whilst the blush gives my cheeks a flush of colour!)

So how does the ELF Blush/Bronzer duo compare to the NARS Orgasm/Laguna duo?
LEFT: ELF Blush and Bronzer Compact, RIGHT: NARS Orgasm/Laguna Duo

As you can see, both products look remarkably similar - it's no surprise where ELF got their inspiration from! However, upon closer inspection, they're not so similar, after all...

Both products with flash:
From L-R: NARS Orgasm, ELF Blush, NARS Laguna, ELF Bronzer

Both products without flash:
From L-R: NARS Orgasm, ELF Blush, NARS Laguna, ELF Bronzer

I actually don't think the two products are as similar as people suggest, and the ELF compact certainly is no dupe for the NARS duo.

Firstly the blush... Whilst NARS Orgasm is a very shimmery, pinky shade, the ELF Blush is more of a peachy shade with less shimmer. The two shades look completely different!

Then the bronzer... NARS Laguna is a dark brown, shimmery bronzer, whilst ELF's Bronzer is a light tan bronzer with slight shimmer. NARS Laguna is better suited as a contour, or as a bronzer on 'tanned' days, whilst ELF's Bronzer would be more suited for an all over, sun-kissed bronzed look.

Dual Mirror Compact - £3.50
Just a fab product for popping in your handbag! Best of all, it comes in a chic velvet pouch - love!

TOTAL: £19.75

How amazing is that! I bought all these products for less than £20, I'm amazed!

FOTD:
FACE: Aldi Lacura Shimmering Day Cream, Maybelline Pure Cover Mineral Concealer (02 Sand), MAC Studio Finish Concealer (NW15), Bourjois 10 Hour Sleep Effect Foundation (72 Rose Clair), MAC Fix+ to finish. ELF Studio Blush and Bronzer Compact (Blush applied using ELF Blushing, Bronzing and Blending Brush, bronzer applied using ELF Studio Complexion Brush).

EYES: Urban Decay Primer Potion (Original), Sleek Storm Palette (taupe shade - applied using ELF Eye Shadow Brush), ELF Studio Pigment Eyeshadow (Golden Goddess) applied using ELF Studio Makeup Lock and Seal, Soap & Glory SUPERCAT Carbon Gloss Liner (on top lid), Avon Color Trend Kajal Stick (Black, on lower waterline), CoverGirl Lash Blast Volume Mascara (Black). MAC Eyebrow Pencil in Dirty Blonde.

LIPS: Carmex Original Lip Balm, ELF Luscious Liquid Lipstick (Raspberry).

Overall I am really impressed with the quality of my ELF products, all of which I snapped up for less than £2 each! My faves would have to be the Luscious Liquid Lipstick and the Studio Blush and Bronzer Compact - but I wasn't overly impressed with their standard line of brushes.

Have you made an ELF haul recently? Tempted?

Let me know!

Love,

Sophia

xo


2 comments:

  1. Woah 50% off! I missed that! Love their offers, make your purchases so worth while :) x

    ug-lily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Lily Yeah I know, it's amazing! This lot would've cost £40+!!!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete