Sunday 15 June 2014

Summer Holiday Style On A Budget: Primark And Dorothy Perkins!


Happy Sunday!

I hope you're having a lovely, relaxing day wherever you are. Shame about the weather here in England but it's actually quite nice being inside for once with a cup of tea to keep me warm :)

I recently went on holiday to Tenerife in the Canary Islands for a week which was just complete bliss - It was lovely and sunny and I only moved from the sun bed for food and drink!

However I encountered a bit of a problem in that I was (and still am) totally skint since moving to London so my holiday wardrobe budget was extremely... limited, shall we say.

I pretty much raided the rails of Primark for cheap summer stuff and found a few pieces in Dorothy Perkins the day before flying out - DPs had a 20% off that day too which was pretty handy.

It meant that I didn't spend more than £15 on a single holiday piece! The rest of it was pretty much completed with stuff I already had in my wardrobe. Here's what I wore...

Outfit one:

Playsuit - Primark, £5 (new season)
Necklace - Primark (old)
Belt - ASOS (old)
Sandals - New Look (old)
Bag - Primark (old)

I found this playsuit in the swimwear section of my local Primark and couldn't believe the price when I saw it. I think it's meant to be more of a beach cover-up than an actual playsuit to wear out in the evening but the material was pretty thick and I didn't feel uncomfortable wearing it out at night. To complement the tribal print on the playsuit, I teamed it with a chunky gold necklace and a slick of MAC Lady Danger lipstick brightened up the look.

Outfit two:

Cami top - Dorothy Perkins, £10.80 (new season)
Necklace - Primark, £4 (new season)
Skirt - New Look (old)
Sandals - as before

I bought this yellow cami top on a whim because I just needed something to wear and cami tops tend to flatter my bust. I didn't know what I was going to wear it with, but I've seen a lot of yellow and white in magazines recently so I thought I'd pair it with this white skater skirt that I've had in my wardrobe for ages. I love how both the pieces are loose and floaty as it makes the outfit feel very bohemian - it was also just super comfy! I think the statement flower necklace injects some colour into the outfit (you might not be able to see but it's cobalt blue and turquoise flowers) and I plaited my hair which I thought went with the 'feel' of the outfit quite well.

Outfit three:

Maxi dress - Primark, £10 (new season)
Necklace - Primark (old)
Denim jacket - New Look (old)
Bag - as before

You can't beat a maxi dress on holiday (in fact, it's probably the only time I would wear a maxi dress!). They're just so comfortable and forgiving - especially when you're going all-inclusive like I was (bloat central). I really liked the pattern on this Primark dress and I was surprised that it wasn't too long as most maxi dresses in there are. I added a tribal-esque necklace to add some interest to the outfit which I think it needed it as the neckline was pretty bare.

Outfit four:

Cami top - Topshop (old)
Shorts - Primark, £4 (new season)
Shoes - Primark (old)
Necklace - New Look (old)

I wouldn't have immediately put these two pieces together but I liked how the cobalt blue cami matched the colour of the trim on the shorts. I decided to team it with a pair of white espadrilles as it gave it more of a chilled-out vibe - while a pink lip pulled the outfit together nicely.

Outfit five:
Floral cami - Dorothy Perkins, £14.40 (new season)
Shorts - H&M (old)
Sandals - Primark (new season)
Necklace - Avon (old)

I started the night with my hair like this but I changed my mind halfway through the evening and took the plaits out by my forehead - they were doing my head in and didn't feel very 'me'! This floral cami top was very voluminous and wouldn't have looked very flattering on its own but I think tucking it into the shorts balanced out the shape nicely. I wasn't sure whether to wear a necklace or not but this cream one is one of my favourites and brought out the cream in the floral cami top.

Outfit six:
Dress - Primark, £13 (new season)
Belt - as before

I absolutely love wearing yellow (especially on holiday!) and fell in love with this dress as soon as I spotted it on the rail in Primark. I wasn't completely sold on it when I tried it on in the changing rooms and I don't think it particularly photographed well, but it's a lovely dress and really fitted in with our beautiful, Spanish surroundings. It was just nice to dress up for a bit on holiday!

What are your budget holiday styling tips? Do you buy a whole new wardrobe or wear things you already have? Let me know in the comments!

Love,

Sophia

xo








3 comments:

  1. I can't believe how cheap that playsuit is either! It looks so nice, I hope you had a great time in Tenerife, I haven't been to Spain in years. I tend to mostly stick with what I have but buy a couple of new things like bikinis and a few nice dresses and things for the evening. Primark is really great for holiday stuff I find.

    Natalie | Broke Student Fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's ridiculous how cheap it was! I don't think it looked £5 though :)
      I'm the same - I try and work with what I've got and then only buy bits if I have to!
      Xx

      Delete
  2. Wow I love how you styled the playsuit and you also have a great dress sense. I love it!

    http://the-renaissance-of-inner-fashion.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete